Advanced Positional Selling (APS) develops consultative skills and strategic insight necessary for sales professionals to secure and retain a preferred position with customers. This program is an investment in the continuing development of your sales organization — ideal for sales management and DPS graduates.
In this dynamic workshop, participants will deeply explore the strategic element of selling. APS training addresses the need for strategic initiative to precede tactical applications, and to orchestrate both with your current business reality. Negotiations, organizational dynamics, conflict management, presentation skills and position progression are all topics covered in the APS workshop as critical elements of strategic selling.
The APS Consultative Selling curriculum is covered in the diverse, dynamic format professionals have come to expect from Carew sales training, including high-impact lectures, group exercises, discussions and hands-on events. The APS program can be customized to address the specific needs and challenges of your organization.
Introduction and What is Current Position
- Re-discover the traits that create dominant sales professionals and the attributes and competencies critical for sales success.
- Learn an analytical model to pinpoint your current standing with your customer’s organization and its key players.
- Diagnose your present position and review tools required to deepen position.
Align for Victory
- Introduction to the Advance Positional Selling model.
- Discover why Sales Professionals often miss what really drives a customer’s organization.
- Learn why great products and service and competitive pricing are no longer the only key elements to winning sustainable business.
- See how some sales professionals with remarkable product have forgettable influence with their customers – and how to fix it.
- Sales professionals are introduced to the concepts of Business Drivers, Critical Concerns, and Decision Criteria in terms of a simple yet sophisticated, highly repeatable process.
- Understand your customer’s decision processes and plan and prepare to work the decision process from a position of strength.
- Find out how to understand varying organizational structures and learn how a sales professional successfully navigates the turbulent waters of dynamic enterprises.
- Every customer has unique business goals; these goals cascade through organizations and mean different things to different people depending on where they reside in the organization, their specific responsibilities, and their individual needs and objectives.
- Learn and develop tools and techniques to explore and confirm your customer’s business drivers – such as the critical research tools, interviewing and needs analysis skills that not only cover the “Questions I Need to Ask”, but “The Information That I Need to Know”.
- Learn approaches for pinning down the business drivers that executives will fund to create results, and how to attach your value in the process.
Current Conditions and Implications
- Learn how a disciplined approach to understanding your customer’s current internal and external business conditions and resulting implications can lead to solutions the customer loves and the competition is not considering.
- Review approaches to help the customer experience the implications of the results they currently accept and build demand for improvement how to create critical concerns.
- Experiment with a flexible course of action to build and confirm QUANTIFIABLE customer needs (Gaps), and the QUANTIFIABLE desired results available through your solutions.
- Discover how and when to use process mapping tools to clearly define implications and impact and drive need.
- Learn to build and communicate tangible ROI.
Decision Criteria and Process
- Create an organization roadmap to understand inter-connectedness in the decision process and identify key players and roles.
- Learn how to qualify the range of individuals involved in the decision process, focusing not only on who can say YES, but dealing with those who can definitely influence a NO.
- Understand the Selection and Evaluation Criteria – what is the real criteria that is going to be used and how to influence it to your advantage.
- Explore how organization type influences the decision process, and learn the skill and language required to successfully navigate the “C-Level” decision makers.
- Understand the orientations of the decision hierarchy and successfully adapt your style and presentation to meet the needs of the individual and their specific motivations.
- Learn how to assess the competition and factor in competitive strategy.
- Learn and use a decision criteria matrix and how to beat the competition’s value proposition.
Packaging the Business Case
- How to use Business Drivers, Critical Conditions and Implications and the Decision Criteria to engage your customer
in a comprehensive solution that is laser-focused on their realities and desired results.
- Clearly and quickly justify your solution in terms of quantifiable results and returns.
- Engage your customer from beginning to end and close for results.
Putting Your Plan into Action
- Apply the Business Case process to a specific account, including preparation and responsibilities to complete the process.
- Create an action plan to implement the business tools and skills into the largest opportunity accounts in your account base.
- Rev up your creative juices as you learn how to introduce innovation and originality in your customer relationships.